- avoids WAU's not-insignificant startup time when i'm in a rush, which is usually the case when i get home from work right before raids
- allows me to quickly search/add/remove/reinstall/update WowAce addons on the fly instead of having to re-open the updater every time i think of something
- allows me to browse the generated composite changelog in a piecemeal fashion via alt-tabbing repeatedly during boring raid trash, so that i can keep up with any interesting changes
I hope you aren't implicitly suggesting that a disdain for my usage patterns might somehow invalidate the seriousness of needless, constant high CPU usage.
WAU is crashing a minute or so after startup with the error that British posted. It appears that it may be choking on an ad that it's trying to load, since I never see an ad come up. The program seems to still function normally after the crash window appears.
I'm running WinXP and WAU 18.104.22.1682. Since the patch I've been getting a lot of "Error During Update" messages. I've attached logs that show a lot of file access errors, making me think that maybe WAU is trying to open files twice or too fast or something. There are two side-effects:
1. It seems WAU is hasty and deletes the existing installation of the addon before the update downloads. As a result, when it "retries automatically" I get a changelog for revision 0 to whatever is the latest.
2. In cases where the retry fails, the addon stays deleted and WAU may even forget it was installed (I had this happen with a failed TradeSkillInfo update).
A wild guess: Maybe my virus/spyware scanners are reopening the files to scan them, and WAU is trying to reopen them for write/delete too soon?
I would suggest adding any question asked more than one or two times to the FAQ thread that has been started and then just linking it whenever people ask a redundant question. There's really no better way to handle it; people are going to ask no matter what, especially once the thread gets too long.