• 0

    posted a message on FuBar_FactionItemsFu Error
    FuBar_FactionItemsFu doesn't inflate politely while using unzip on *nix platforms. Arrowmaster indicates this is most likely due to malformed URLs in the svn:externals property for this addon. Could this be looked in to? It isn't a game breaker, but it is a mild nuisance on some non-Windows platforms.

    Thanks.
    Posted in: AddOn HELP!
  • 0

    posted a message on FuBar_AddonSpamFu - Official Thread
    FuBar_AddonSpamFu doesn't inflate politely while using unzip on *nix platforms. Arrowmaster indicates this is most likely due to malformed URLs in the svn:externals property for this addon. Could this be looked in to? It isn't a game breaker, but it is a mild nuisance on some non-Windows platforms.

    Thanks.
    Posted in: FuBar AddOns
  • 0

    posted a message on Assorted Addon Archival Problems
    Thanks. In retrospect it makes more sense now, since I'm sure addon packages are generated automatically, probably using the same subset of utilities the rest of us likely use. ;) However, at first blush, it seemed to be the fault of the application since the symptoms are the same (I've also seen this once before, but it was the fault of IZArc). I'd assume this because someone elected to use backslashes in the URL entries for svn:externals and thus the checkout for upstream dependencies would contain "\" in the generated directory name(s)?

    Okay, that sheds a bit more light on it. I'll go ahead and reference your post.
    Posted in: AddOn HELP!
  • 0

    posted a message on Assorted Addon Archival Problems
    Some months back, I noticed a number of unusual issues with extracting one of the more important FuBar addons, AddonSpamFu (I love it). Initially, I thought it was the result of grabbing more recent builds. Coming from a F/OSS background, I understand the dilemma with staying on the bleeding edge: building nightlies from svn can be problematic at best, thus I attributed it to a short-term bug as a result of the natural development cycle. That hypothesis held for a short while until I dug a little deeper and noticed something peculiar with how the archive members were being extracted. Here's an example:

    [gridlock-ix:FuBar_AddonSpamFu]$ ls
    AddonSpamFu.lua             Libs\AceAddon-2.0  Libs\AceHook-2.1  Libs\FuBarPlugin-2.0
    Changelog-FuBar_AddonSpamFu-r72812.txt Libs\AceConsole-2.0 Libs\AceLibrary   Libs\Roster-2.1
    embeds.xml               Libs\AceDB-2.0    Libs\AceLocale-2.2 Libs\Tablet-2.0
    FuBar_AddonSpamFu.toc          Libs\AceEvent-2.0  Libs\AceOO-2.0


    As you can tell, the member names of each item extracted from the archive contains a backslash. No wonder "AceAddon-2.0" couldn't be found.

    Renaming each member and moving them to the directory as expected by the addon seemed to work but this is the cause of no end of headaches, not to mention the havoc it wreaks with a few scripts I've been putting together to generate packages for my own private use. However, I found out precisely why this has been happening. As it turns out, the addon maintainers are most likely using archival utilities such as IZArc or older versions of Winzip and/or clones. The zip "standard" (if you could call it thus, as it seems the nature of zip files is such that any standard is somewhat ad hoc) dictates that the forward slash must be used as a path separator. Utilities that don't follow the standard (including older versions of Winzip) use backslashes. Now, this isn't much of a problem for applications that are somewhat more forgiving; 7-zip can open the archives just fine. However, it is somewhat annoying for those of us who use systems that have unzip(1L) as implemented by Info-Zip. Near as I can tell, this affects most Linux-based distributions. (I haven't tested it on my FreeBSD system yet, since I have no real need to extract WoW addons on that box.)

    Thusfar, I've narrowed down the problem to the following FuBar addons. I'm sure there's other WowAce addons that are affected as well, but I've yet to run into them:

    FuBar_AddonSpamFu (first noticed this issue about 2 or 3 months ago)
    FuBar_FactionItemsFu
    FuBar_PotHerbFu

    There is a temporary solution available until the maintainers or developers of these addons can come around to the agreement that their archival software contains somewhat non-standard behavior ;) I've put together a small Python script that can be used in shell scripts to extract addons whose archives contain invalid path separators. However, I would like to also recommend 7-zip to those maintainers who happen to be using software that doesn't play nice with some unzip utilities. For those of us who play WoW under Wine and have a strong affinity for FuBar and family, we would collectively thank you.

    --
    Thalaria of the Black Raven Dragoons / Terenas
    Posted in: AddOn HELP!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.